This delicious fall-inspired salad can be served warm or cold. You can serve it with confidence knowing that the ingredients pack in loads of nutrients like fiber, protein, and antioxidants. The dressing gives it a light and bright flavor, yet the farro and cauliflower give it a warm and savory taste that is perfect for any cold weather day. It makes a great main for lunch or serve it as a side at any holiday party!
SERVES: 4-6 TIMES: 30 MIN
4 Cups Riced Cauliflower (I prefer the frozen bags, or you can buy fresh, or pulse 1.5 heads of cauliflower in a food processor)
1 Cup Farro, uncooked
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Medium Onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
1 Cup Celery, sliced on diagonal in 1/4 thick pieces
1.5 Tsp Dried Tarragon
3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
3 Tbsp Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese (omit if vegan)
2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Parsley (optional)
FOR DRESSING: (can be prepared ahead)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Begin by preparing dressing. Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside (can be done ahead of time).
2. In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they become slightly clear (about 2-3 min).
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, begin to cook farro according to package instructions. Should take approximately 10 minutes.
4. Add celery to onions and cook for another 3-5 min, until celery softens.
5. If using frozen cauliflower, heat in the microwave until defrosted, but leave slightly undercooked. Drain all water as best as possible.
6. Add riced cauliflower to onion and celery mix and turn up the heat slightly. Goal is to cook cauliflower so it is crispy, not soft or mushy. Stir every minute or so, so it doesn't burn. Cook approximately 5 minutes.
7. Add cooked farro to cauliflower mix and continue to stir.
8. Turn off heat and stir in tarragon and pine nuts to cauliflower and farro mixture. Stir quickly to combine.
9. Add dressing and cheese and stir until well combined.
10. Top with Parsley (optional) and serve immediately if you would like to serve warm. If you would like to serve cold, cover and chill in the refrigerator.