This past week, I was deep in Dr. Michael Gregor's book, "How Not to Die," an incredible book that summarizes major scientific evidence on foods proven to reverse or prevent a number of diseases.
While reading about antioxidants' role in the prevention of brain diseases, such as stroke, I couldn't resist diving into the 138 chart that lists over 3,000 foods and their antioxidant content. As I meticulously read through each line, I was simultaneously making my grocery list for the week! And that's how the ingredients for this week's recipe came about.
Oranges, walnuts, garbanzo beans, and spinach are all rich in antioxidants - compounds that reduce oxidation and the production of free radicals in the body. Several studies have found that those with higher dietary antioxidant intake have lower risk of certain diseases such as stroke and cardiovascular disease.
Another important component of this salad is fiber. Adequate fiber intake has been linked to lower incidences of heart disease, diabetes, colon, and breast cancer. In one serving of this salad alone, you'll pack in about 6 grams of fiber!
So enjoy this recipe, which is most definitely delicious and nutritious!
TIME: 15 min (plus time to cook quinoa) SERVES: 4
1.5 Cup Quinoa, Cooked
3/4 Cup Garbanzo Beans, Rinsed
3/4 Cup Mandarin Oranges, Fresh or Canned, Chopped in Halves or Thirds
2 TBSP Minced Red Onion
2 TBSP Roughly Chopped Walnuts
4 TBSP Crumbled Feta
12 oz Tofu, Drained, Cubed
4 Cups Spinach or Spring Mix
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
2 TSP Agave
Black Pepper to Taste
1. Combine cooked quinoa with garbanzo beans, oranges, red onion, walnuts, and feta. Toss well until all ingredients thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. To make the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Pour approximately 2 TBSP of dressing over quinoa mix, and stir until evenly distributed.
4. Prepare salads by evenly distributing lettuce among 4 plates or containers. Top with quinoa mixture and tofu.
5. Dress right before eating and enjoy!