This salad has been a fall favorite of mine for many years now. It's a departure from a traditional side of green beans or mashed potatoes, but is still a major crowd pleaser at holiday gatherings.
If I could give you one tip, it would be to massage your kale, yes you heard me, massage your kale. By massaging the dressing directly on to the kale it helps break down some of the toughness of the kale and makes sure that it is well flavored and balanced. Enjoy!
SERVES: 8-10 TIME: 60 min
1 large butternut squash (about 3lbs) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3/4 extra virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and Pepper
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (toasted, optional)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp maple syrup (or agave)
2 tbsp dijon mustard (whole grain recommended)
1 tbsp shallot, chopped finely
6 cups tuscan kale, deboned and sliced thinly
3/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese (or grated)
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Heat oven to 425°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss squash with 2 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp each).
2. Place whole head of garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 tsp. oil, wrap securely in foil and place on baking sheet next to squash.
3. Roast, stirring squash occasionally after the first 15 minutes, until squash is golden and tender and garlic is tender, 35–40 minutes. While squash is cooking, wash and dry kale.
4. Remove garlic and squash from oven and set aside to cool.
5. Cut off the top of the garlic head and squeeze all of the softened garlic into a medium bowl. Whisk in the lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, shallot, 1 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper, then whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine kale with about 3/4 of the dressing, and use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale -- really massage it in.
7. Add more dressing as needed (you may not need all of it).
8. Add roasted squash, Parmesan, and pomegranate seeds to bowl; toss together to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
10. Serve and enjoy!
*Note: To make vegan, omit cheese