Fall is here and it's my favorite time of year to cook because of the abundance of flavorful produce that's in season.
This recipe includes both acorn squash and mushrooms, which are both in season in the autumn months.
I hope you enjoy this #vegan savory fall comfort dish!
SERVINGS: 4 TIME: 60 MIN
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Whole Acorn Squash
1/3 Cup Rice, Dry - Wild Variety Recommended or Right Rice Brand
3/4 Cup Water
12 oz Veggie Sausage (LightLife Brand Recommended)
2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
1.5 Cups Shiitake Mushrooms, Chopped
3 Cups Baby Spinach
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Parsley, Chopped Fine (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF (218ºC). Drizzle the oil on the squash and place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. While the squash bakes, add the rice to a medium pot with the water and cook according to the directions on the package.
3. In a pan, over medium heat, add the veggie sausage and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until it has wilted and the sausage is completely cooked through.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add the wild rice to the pan along with the lemon juice and sea salt. Mix well.
5. Spoon the rice/sausage mixture into the baked squash and garnish with parsley (optional). Enjoy!
(adapted from ThatCleanLife meal plan)